Finally, a review! And for one of my best-loved singers of all time!<3

I've been a fan of Ayu since her album (miss)understood - though that was the one album I didn't really like from her! I've been following her ever since. There were some hits , her album Secret which I really LOVED and Talkin' to Myself.<3 And then there were some misses...Blue Bird, glitter / fated...bleh!>_<

Her album Secret had a good mix of ballads and upbeat tracks. But what I REALLY wanted was for her to release something more rockish. Edgier. Darker maybe.

When Talkin' to Myself came out, I was thrilled! It seemed like she was going in that direction. And now we have GUILTY. Here we go! =D

Mirror
The album kicks off with an intro that does well in setting the scene. It's like you're dialing in to the connection, complete with digital distortion sounds, then you're in! And then the song starts taking you along, lifting you, building up the scene and power, showing you what to expect for the rest of the album. Then it's done, it's finished, it's happy with its handiwork and takes you back down. It's not over yet though. This is just the intro. Take a breather and get ready. The show's about to start!

(don't)Leave Me Alone
The first song establishes the same feel to it as Talkin' to Myself did - dark and expressive. It doesn't want you. It's telling you to get away while you still can. But at the same time, it wants you to stick around. For there's more to come.

Talkin' to Myself
And here we have Talkin' to Myself! I love this song.<3 Did I repeat myself? It's a nice progression from the previous song as comparatively, this sorta builds upon it and takes it to another level. The song sounds like it's berating itself for telling you to leave it alone.

Decision
This song then starts. At first, you might think it's gone soft and sorrowful. But then it proves you wrong with a rebellious rockish beat that begins shortly after. Then the song intersperses both, starting out dejected and hurt only to rise with firm resolve again and again. Ayumi's not backing down just yet, people!

Guilty
We have a nice beat going here. It starts sounding even darker and morose here - fitting the title of the song very well. You can hear the regret in her voice. Over what? A lost lover? People wronged? Past mistakes? The pathetic state of the current world?

I dunno. I don't understand Japanese and I've yet to read the translation for this one.^^;

Fated
Heard ittttt. Don't get me wrong. It's a decent song. Just not that great. This song sounds hopeful. For things to be better one day. Or maybe it's just resigned to fate and content with life however it goes. Because she knows it'll turn out well somehow in the end. Hopefully.

Together When...
Now this is a lovely first-class ballad. Sounds like it's reminiscing over sweet memories shared with a special someone. And wondering when they'll ever be together again.

Marionette -Prelude-
Prelude! It's like Ayu wants to end the first phase of the album but then as an afterthought, she puts on this musical box. It's really a sweet little melody.^^

Marionette
And then she gets inspired for this song. You really have to watch the PV to get a real feel for it! Very curious stuff going on here. Ayu's always had a penchant for songs that portray her as just a puppet, robot or image of some sort. There's quite a few actually...Evolution, Real Me, Alterna.. So this song continues the same theme. A very dramatic song at that!

The Judgement Day
Interlude! And finally we've come to the end of the first part of the album. Really, the tune here isn't as scary as the title makes it out to be. It does start off with some ominous clock chimes and organs, accompanied by Ayu doing her trademark 'lalala' thing in a morbid tone. But then it quickly grows brighter and more upbeat, till it nearly reminds you of Fairyland. And now you know what's coming.

Glitter
I hates this song.>_< I mean, on its own, it's a nice happy song - very different from the songs in the first part of the album. Only oh I dunno...IT'S BEEN DONE BEFORE! First Fairyland. Then BLUE BIRD. We really don't need another one, Ayu! XD I'm fine with you being bright and happy, but at least make it more original than all your previous songs.<_<

My All
Now this is slightly better in some ways. Still, the beat is pretty ho-hum and not very inspiring. It only picks up during the chorus, but even then it doesn't sound like Ayu's really giving her all here. Even Glitter sounds more persuasive. But I hate that song...<_<

reBIRTH
Another interlude? Weird...=/ I mean it IS a nice tune and all and does fit the title reBIRTH perfectly, sounding like you're observing the magical wonder of life itself. But still, I don't see what it's doing here...unless it's meant to bridge to the next and final song of the album.

Untitled ~For Her~
The title itself is curious. I'm guessing 'her' could be her mom. On the other hand, it could be referring to her own self. I read somewhere that Ayumi actually views herself as two aspects, one which is her personal self and the other which is her muse. Or something like that. That's why you see a lot of PVs where you see 2 different Ayumis.

In any case, this song sounds a lot like a tribute to whoever 'she' is. A nice way to wrap it up.^^

Overall
I love this album. X3 Even more than Secret. It's exactly what I wished for ~<3 (at least the first part) From what I can tell from the titles and feel of the songs, it sounds as though Ayumi is regretting over something, but will continue to strive ever harder towards the future, ever hopeful for the best.

Which bears resemblance to her message to her fans when she got deaf in her left ear:

Translation by HiruNoKaze:

My frank resolution for this year.

The truth is, last year, I had an ear check-up, my diagnosis being that my left ear has completely lost all function and that there is no treatment.

Even so, I want to keep being a singer.

That's why I'll keep singing as long as this remaining right ear works, to its limit.

I won't quit.

I won't make excuses.

As a professional, I will sing the best songs for you*.

I don't really like the word "ganbaru," but...

I will ganbaru**!!!!! At all costs!!!!!!!!!

Until that day, someday...

*Here she uses the word for "everyone," but I think it is better translated as "you." Also, the literal meaning is "I will definitely deliver the best songs to you." for reference.

**ganbaru means persevere or try hard, and it is a word very commonly used in Japanese. For example, as well as being used to mean "try hard," it is used in the same situations that "good luck" would be used in English.

Source: Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai


I'm probably wrong though and it could just be a coincidence.^^;

In any case GUILTY, a great album. I heard that it should be out here about now, so I'm definitely getting Rift to pick me up a copy! X3 You should get yourself one too!

Here's to more wonderful songs from Ayumi Hamasaki! =D